26 November 2020
On Monday, November 16th 2020, a press conference organized by the Government of Quebec was held to detail the Plan for a Green Economy 2030 (PEV 2030).
François Legault, Quebec Prime Minister and Benoit Charette, Minister of the Environment and the Fight against Climate Change and Minister responsible for the Laval region, announced an envelope of 6.7 billion dollars over 5 years (2021-2026).
This major investment demonstrates the Québec government's desire to stimulate the economy by consuming less but better and by emphasizing Québec's strength, namely hydroelectricity, clean electricity by excellence.
- Reduce greenhouse gases (GHG)
- Electrifying our economy
- Greening urban spaces and infrastructure
- Supporting farmers
- Investing in public transportation
- Making industries less polluting
- Changing our lifestyle habits
- Create paying jobs
The government's ambitious goal is to reduce GHGs by 37.5% by 2030. The ultimate goal is to lead Quebec towards carbon neutrality by 2050.
The Prime Minister pointed out that this will not be easy; since Quebec does not have any coal or gas-fired power plants to eliminate, it is more complex to reduce GHGs compared to other North American states.
Moreover, did you know that among the 60 North American states, Quebec has the lowest per capita GHG rate?
The EPI 2030 is divided into two parts:
"As of 2035, no new gas-powered vehicles will be sold in Quebec." says Prime Minister, François Legault.
- To have 1.5 million electric vehicles on the road in Quebec by 2030.
- 55% of city buses and 65% of school buses electrified in 2030.
- 100% of the government's cars, SUVs, vans and minivans and 25% of its pickup trucks electrified in 2030.
- Hydro Quebec commits to installing 2500 electric kiosks by 2030.
- 15% ethanol in gasoline and 10% bio-based diesel in diesel by 2030.
- 50% reduction in GHG emissions related to building heating in 2030.
- 60% reduction in GHG emissions from government buildings by 2030.
- 10% renewable natural gas (RNG) in the network in 2030.
- 50% increase in bioenergy production by 2030.
- 70% renewable energy supply to off-grid systems by 2025.
"Our plan is intended to mobilize and bring people together, we are betting on pragmatism, we chose to engage the population by meeting more than 500 people through working groups rather than implementing punitive measures.
I am a guy of results, actions and concrete results." says Mr. Legault.
Mr. Charette added, "Our government is already at work, and I am convinced that with the collaboration of my colleagues in the Council of Ministers as well as municipalities, businesses and citizens, we will succeed in our climate transition, a just transition that will take into account the differences between regions, generations and sectors of activity. Together, we will build a greener, more resilient and more prosperous Québec.”
Finally, our Prime Minister concluded the press conference: "The greatest constraint is popular pressure, especially from the youth. It is our duty to reach our objective for 2030, I want to be able to look my two sons proudly in the eyes, we must make our country a better place for our children.”
Would you like to know which green financing is available for your company? Contact our commissioner dedicated to sustainable development and clean technologies, Mr. Jean-Philippe Roux-Groleau : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please complete this form